Nature Writer AM 2017 Grades 4-6 at IBG Summer CampThe Cabin
About This Event
A collaboration of The Cabin and Idaho Botanical Garden.
Creative writing makes nature come alive.
Foci for Student Learning:
- Engaging with research and scientific ways of understanding the natural world to find inspiration to write creatively
- Reflective journaling to process nature and science learning
- Analyze nature/environmental creative texts to learn about craft
- Writing, thinking, and talking about conservation/environment and the role of writing in encouraging and defining these concepts
- Learn to use place as more than a backdrop
- Producing nature and science inspired poems and stories
- Reflecting on the artist’s role in questions of our natural environment and conservation
- Responding to what works in one another’s work
- Offering constructive critique for peer’s work towards revision
- Revising for publication
Essential Questions Students Will Investigate:
- What is the role of an artist in communicating honestly about the natural world?
- How do we bridge arts and sciences? How does writing do that?
- Can writers work on ideas related to conservation? The natural world?
- How do we use nature as inspiration?
- How do we write about physical experience?
- What is nature?