Picture This AM 2017 Grades 5-6 Summer CampThe Cabin
About This Event
Picture This AM 2017 Grades 5-6 Summer Camp
Meets July 17-21. This week-long camp is for kids going into 5th & 6th grades. Camp meets Monday through Friday from 9am – 12 pm each day. Investigate the powerful potential of connecting words and images as you work to create graphic texts alive with full characters, a riveting plot, and meaningful design. Explore art excursions to galleries and installations, and read graphic texts with peers and your Cabin teaching-writer to discover how to produce collages, comics, illustrated poems and stories that show and tell.During the last half-hour of camp on Friday, family and friends are invited to The Cabin for lemonade and a public reading of student writing.
Draw the illustrated stories & comics you’ve always wanted to read.
Foci for Student Learning:
- Critically reading visual/literary hybrid art texts to learn about craft
- Symbol and image
- Collage, cartoons, found texts, visual rhetoric
- Tone and argument (irony, satire, etc)
- Ekphrasis; “translating” visual art into language art and back again
- Making comics and graphic narratives
Essential Questions Students Will Investigate:
- How do you read a picture?
- Is a picture really worth 1,000 words?
- What’s the relationship between words and images? What relationships are possible?
- What are the parts of a graphic narrative? What do they do?
- How can graphic narratives evoke emotion?
- How can understanding of graphic narratives influence other modes of expression?
- In what ways are images in sequence like writing? Unlike writing?
- How do we move story forward through image and pictures?