Word Play AM 2017 Grades 3-4 Summer CampThe Cabin
About This Event
Meets daily June 19th-23rd. This camp is for 3rd & 4th graders. Camp meets Monday through Friday from 9am -12pm each day. Engage in play that wakes up all five senses, sparks creativity and encourages new paths to writing imaginative poems and stories. You’ll explore nearby parks, the rose garden, the library, and take a field trip to the zoo for inspiration. During the last half-hour of camp on Friday, family and friends are invited to The Cabin for lemonade and a public reading of student writing.
Flex your writing muscles and set your poems and stories in motion.
Foci for Student Learning:
- Play with language as a path to imaginative writing
- Play, movement, sensory experience, and games as prewriting activities
- Using the five senses in writing poetry and fiction
- Introduction to basics of poetry: line, stanza, image, figurative language
- Introduction to basics of narrative: description, story structure, character
- Responding to what works in one another’s work
- Revising for publication
Essential Questions Students Will Investigate:
- What does it mean to write?
- Where does writing come from?
- What am I doing when I write?
- What is fun about writing?
- What is important about writing?
- How do new experiences shape your writing?
- How can writing feel like play?