SUMMER 2021 is finally here! After last year, it is time to make up for all the things we weren’t able to do! This Is Boise has put together a list of fun activities for dates, family outings, and everything in between.
Places To Go
Summers in Boise are the perfect time for friends and family to come together. Here are a few ideas of where to take them on their visit. If you haven’t been to one of these places yourself, don’t wait for visitors to come to town, check these out!
- Old Idaho Penitentiary Site and Botanical Gardens: The Old Idaho Penitentiary has something for everyone! Visitors experience over 100 years of Idaho’s prison history. You are able to walk through the old Solitary Confinement, cell blocks, and the Gallows. The Old Idaho Penitentiary is a must-see in Boise! The Botanical Gardens are one of the first and oldest botanical gardens in Idaho. It is made up of 15 acres of greenery and a wide variety of plants. The garden is located in the heart of the Old Penitentiary Historic District and nestled in the Boise Foothills.
- Treasure Valley Skate: Need a fun date night or a place for your kids to release some of their energy? Treasure Valley Skate is the perfect answer. You can rent skates for a small fee or you can dig up your old ones from college for a fun throwback! Lessons for beginners are available as well!
- Camel’s Back Park: Camel’s Back is a summer favorite! There are endless things to do with the family here including: hiking trails, a sand volleyball court, fenced in tennis courts, large grassy areas with public tables and benches, and a playground! Not to mention, a snowcone shack around the corner on 13th street!
Eats and Drinks
Summer is the perfect time to explore new places to eat and drink, especially because patio season is officially here! Here are a few of our favorites:
- Stella’s Ice Cream: This fun ice cream shop has three locations! You can find their friendly staff scooping up some of the best ice cream in Boise on 8th Street. They have options for everyone, including 16 different vegan flavors. Try them tonight with the family by grabbing a scoop after dinner!
- Sid’s Garage: Sid’s Garage is opening its second location on Main St. If you haven’t tried them out at their Meridian location, you are missing out! Sid’s Garage is serving up all of your classic summer food cravings for burgers, fries, and milkshakes.
- Green Acres Food Truck Park: This new park opened Memorial Day weekend across the river from Ann Morrison park. It is the perfect stop after floating the river! Green Acres has a rotation of different local food trucks for a variety of things to enjoy! Check out their social media for more.
Out and About
We love activities that allow us to enjoy the sunshine! These are the top picks from our staff members on favorite summer outdoor activities.
- Hiking: There are so many amazing trails in Boise! Some of our favorites include The Military Reserve, More Mountain Loop Trailhead (up by Bogus Basin), and Hulls Gulch Trailhead. Want to find more? Visit the Ridge to Rivers website.
- Floating the Boise River: No matter how busy your summer might become, you can’t go a summer without floating the Boise River! Floating is estimated to open up mid-June. We can’t wait. Visit the Barber Park website to stay up to date.
- Jump Jam & Jive: Coming June 8th, there will be 8 free concerts that will run just about every other week at Jack’s Urban Meeting Place. The space has a large grassy area and playground. View the free concert line-up here.
What are your favorite summer activities in Boise? Share with us below!